Spring is here and it’s the perfect time to clean out our offices and homes! In the ancient practices of Feng Shui there is a reverence for remaining connected to nature and flowing with the seasons. While you do some spring-cleaning, you may want to think of ways to spend more time outside in the months to come, to really harness the energy and greatness of the seasonal switch.
Here are a seven Feng Shui inspired tips that can help you create the foundation for a season of real abundance:
- De-clutter: Clearing out the clutter in your home, office, car and any other space in your life is always a good idea. But in spring, focus your efforts on what you need to clear away in order to feel more active. Bring your workout gear front and center in your closet, along with brighter colors if you really want to embrace the rebirth of the season. Deep cleaning the whole kitchen–particularly the refrigerator–will somewhat strangely make you feel incredible. It’s a great prosperity Feng Shui tips too!
- Clean under things: We all have dust. That dust creates stagnation. Stagnation is the opposite of flow and circulation. Flow and circulation bring health and prosperity. Cleansing under things thoroughly–your sofa, your bed…even the oven and fridge–will open up any stagnant energy and get the flow going. This action will help you to open up stuck areas of your own life as well, so embrace it!
- Wash your windows: Another area of cleaning neglect for many. Washing the windows gives you a fresh perspective on life. While you’re at it, pop out your blinds if you have them and wash them in your tub. Toss curtains in the laundry or dry-clean them. You’ll be astonished by the difference this makes in your home, particularly if you open your windows often.
- Welcome new ideas: Look through the bookshelves and see if you can donate or gift some books to friends or a charity. This action will allow fresh ideas to come into your life this season.
- Practice cash shui: Polish the flow of your finances. Spring is the season of action, and you want to be sure that action doesn’t come at the expense of your prosperity. Beyond rooting through your files, think about a few ways to organize, invest or save money. A budget, a visit to your money manager, some accounting software or simply deciding to live using only cash to buy things (a very effective strategy for people who impulse buy with credit cards) can make this a wealthier spring.
- Eat lemons and greens: Spring is the season of wood energy, and in Traditional Chinese Medicine, that correlates with the element of wood, the organ of the liver and sour (like lemon) tastes. Eat lots of greens to generate more wood energy, feel cleaner inside and be more radiant in your whole life. And, of course, start the day with some hot water and lemon. These are two basic habits that are brilliant for spring, and great year-round as well!
- Make your life online a bit more Zen: Internet space is another “environment” in which we live, so it also deserves some spring cleansing. Most people engage in quite a bit of social media time, not to mention online banking, photo storage, work files, one or many email accounts and much more. Freshen up your online profiles pages: add some new pictures, color and personality. Go through your digital photos and organize them in a friendly fashion. Same for your emails and phone contacts.
And for every season, I like to set a seasonal intention. Whether it’s growing an herb garden, mastering Easter egg artistry or perfecting my golf swing, these personal, seasonal wishes make every season more fun to look forward to. And it’s a great way to signal the changes in your life throughout the year!